“It took a miracle”…that is how we feel about our church! It did take a miracle! It all began because God worked in the hearts and lives of interested people living in the Centerville area.
Our 1st service was held on September 7, 1958, at the Town hall in Centerville. There were 12 in Sunday School, 20 in morning worship, 7 in Training Union, and 33 in the evening worship. Five people came for membership.
From this small beginning we launched a full Southern Baptist program and called our 1st pastor, Brother Ben Walker, who came on October 11, 1958.
Our 1st revival was held on April 19, 1959, with Reverend W. Edward McMillan of Fort Worth, Texas as our evangelist. Reverend Walker resigned as pastor in August 1959, and reverend McMillan came on the field as pastor in November 1959. Under his leadership our church began to grow, land was purchased, plans were drawn, and construction began on our new building. We organized into a New Testament Church on August 28, 1960.
In two years the mission had grown from a very small group of people meeting in a home for prayer to an organized church with 95 charter members.